What do we need to do?
Our nation’s infrastructure tasks withstand significant but answerable. Through tactical, sustained venture, courageous leadership, unselfish preparation, and cautious preparation for the essentials of the future, America’s infrastructure will be enhanced and refurbished. California’s infrastructure cannot be mended and efficient on governance and modernism alone. In order to be prepared for future generations we must increase investment and not postpone such an investment because it will be a greater cost in the long run and there will be more risks that future generations cannot afford.
We must increase investment from all levels of government and the private sector by:
- Putting the trust back into trust funds.
- Fix the Highway Trust Fund by raising the federal motor fuel tax.
- Approve programs to advance specific groups of deficient infrastructure and support that obligation by completely funding them in a practical, ordered method.
- Americans must be prepared to pay taxes and fees that reproduce the maintenance and improvement of all infrastructures including our transportation, water, and waste and energy services.
Leadership & Planning
Strategic investment will only be conceivable with management, development, and a clear vision for our nation’s infrastructure. Leaders from all ranks of government, business, labor, and nonprofit organizations must come organized to guarantee all reserves are spent prudently, ordering plans with critical welfares to the economy, public safety, and value of life, while also scheduling for the costs of building, operating, and maintaining the infrastructure for its whole duration.
- Necessitate all developments to use life cycle cost analysis and develop a plan for financing the project, including its maintenance and operation.
- Generate enticements for state and local governments and the private sector to capitalize in conservation, and to advance the efficiency and performance of prevailing infrastructure.
- Advance tools to safeguard that projects most in need of investment and maintenance are ordered, to influence inadequate funding sensibly.
- Rationalize the project authorizing procedure across infrastructure subdivisions, with precautions to protect the natural environment, to deliver greater lucidity to governing requirements, bring precedence projects to reality more rapidly, and protect cost savings.
- Detect a pipeline of infrastructure plans attractive to private sector investment and public-private partnership.